Translate

Powered by Blogger.

Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Slow Cooker Hot Cocoa - Spring snow storm approved

 


      For me, the month of April usually signifies warmer weather is on it's way. You don't expect to experience warm sunny 70 degree weather one day and wake up to this.....
the next. Unless you live in Utah.
     All of a sudden it is April 15th and I'm digging through the closet for snow clothes and rifling through the pantry for hot cocoa. I found the snow clothes, but no cocoa. Apparently in my Southern California girl naivete' I thought, "I don't need to buy hot cocoa anymore, it's APRIL!" WRONG!!!
     In a few hours I will have four freezing boys home from school wanting something to warm their spring frost bitten bodies. Enter my recipe for Slow Cooker Hot Cocoa. The ingredients aren't anything too exotic, so you should have everything already in your pantry. Cause who wants to make a trip to the grocery store in April through the newly fallen snow to buy hot cocoa? That would be like adding insult to injury.


Slow Cooker Hot Cocoa

1/4 cup quality cocoa powder
1/2 white sugar
1 cup hot water
*6 cups milk (I use whole or 2%. You can also substitute Soy, Almond, lactose free, etc)
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 tsp kosher salt (optional)

  • Combine Cocoa, Sugar, and Hot Water in large pan.  Stir, and bring to gentle boil.
  • Transfer mixture to slow cooker, and whisk in milk. Then add vanilla and kosher salt.
  • Stir, cook on high for 2 hours (or low for 4 hours), or until hot.
  • Top it off with whipped cream or marshmallows and ENJOY!! Happy Spring!
 *If you like your cocoa less strong, add 1 or 2 cups more milk.

No comments:

Post a Comment